Club Ascension celebrates Michigan Happy Knots returning to the club! MHK provides education and a social group environment for those attending to learn from each other. They provide a 30 to 45 minute class on a specific type of tie for both beginner and advanced at the beginning of the evening. Then allow people to break off and socialize and practice the tie they learned. This gives people a way to share their knowledge, techniques, tips and tricks with others all while making friends. This is for those who like to socialize and learn in large group type settings. This group runs their event every other Wednesday at Club Ascension. Check our Calendar for more information on dates this happens.
We also provide more private Shibari education for those interested in more hands-on intensive workshop type teaching. We have 2 types of classes. One is a small group of up to 10 in a class and the other is just direct 1 on 1 instruction. You can choose what fits your needs. The small group intensive classes run for 4 weeks, 2 hours per class per week. They pack a ton of information and knowledge into them and give you a great launching ground to begin your journey. They are perfect for those who want to learn with less distraction from large crowds. Additionally, we offer private 1 on 1 instruction on an hourly basis and scheduled completely by appointment.
Follow the link if you want to know more or schedule a class
With the internet it is easy to get involved in local communities all over the world. Fetlife.com is about the only site I recommend for finding communities. It isn’t really designed to be a dating site; it is a social networking site, the Facebook of BDSM. Although many still use it as a dating site. Fetlife definitely has its issues and could always use some improvement. But it has been the best place in my personal opinion for networking in the kink community. All these people you come across doing everything imaginable. You may think some is hot, some is not and other things you see you ask yourself WTF! Welcome to the kink world, it can be a strange, fun and scary place.
So here are some quick tips for dipping your toes in the water…
- Use a pic of yourself not anyone else. If you are not able to be out and open about your lifestyle that is ok. Use some cute meme or something like that. Anything that won’t be construed as a picture representing you. Most all of us in the kink community understand that you can’t always use a picture of yourself. But it is never ok to use a picture of someone in a manner that people will believe is a representation of yourself.
- Fill out your profile. Granted like any other social website, many people won’t read the profile, they’ll just see the profile pic and write all kinds of ignorant to intelligent things to you. But the ones worth talking to will read it.
- Attend education classes and events to learn about the lifestyle. Don’t assume that since you read 50 shades of grey you understand the nuance to the lifestyle. Other than exposing the BDSM lifestyle to a more mainstream public view. That book has little to nothing to really do with the lifestyle. There are many organizations who provide educational classes, workshops and events all over the world. If you did join Fetlife, you can find many of these organizations through the events tab at the top of the website.
- Attend munches or social events to meet people. Get out and active in the kink community and you’ll have friends flowing before you know it. Yes, this can be scary and nerve wracking. Especially for someone who tends to be shy and introverted. It is also possible you won’t quite feel like you fit in at first. But keep going and trying, people will begin to open up when they start to realize your wanting to become part of the lifestyle. Not just another passer by stopping in to look at the kinky people.
- There is only one true way to practice the BDSM lifestyle, your way! So take the advice and education you get and adapt it to fit you in a personal meaningful way. However, pay close attention to the safety precautions of certain play aspects. Doing anything in an unsafe manner in which could cause serious harm to another is never ever ok. And never assume you know everything…. I’ve been in this lifestyle 20ish years and I am still learning new things all the time. Humility, it will go a long way to aiding you on your personal journey.
- You may be living a kink lifestyle but common sense still applies here like it does everywhere else. There is a real life world with work, kids, family, etc. that we all have deal with. How you work kink to fit into the world is the personal journey you’re on.
- Communication, learn how to! It is one of the most important concepts to the lifestyle. It is fundamental to your personal growth and the relationships you develop. Be honest with yourself and your partner(s). It may not always be the easiest thing to do, but it is the only intelligent way to be.
I hope you find these quick tips helpful as you step into the lifestyle. Stay safe, have fun and enjoy the ride your about to get on. Because it can be a doozy at times!
The first episode of the Ascension Show is revolving around consent issues. Given the way that we are planning the show. We decided to use film projects as a means to convey a message, along with comedy skits and open frank discussion. We hope that if someone watches and part of the show bores them, hopefully another part of the show they get the message from. Kind of a lofty ideal as the saying goes, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink” will probably be the case more often than not. But myself and those involved with the show believe that if we educate even a few people and help spark change. Then that change will hopefully grow and spread.
So anyway as some have heard Sunday March 5th at Club Ascension we are holding a not really party…. Party for the purpose of filming interaction between people, setting up mock consent violations as we know they happen in the real world, then plan to work in resolutions to the violations. As well as interviews with those involved and their views of the project.
If you are interested in being a part of this project, and do not have any issues with your face being exposed on film related to alternative lifestyles. Feel free to come out on the 5th from 2pm -5pm and we’ll include you in the project. We look forward to trying something we believe as a different approach to educating folks.
If you want to attend then please send me a message and let me know and I’ll give you directions to the film shoot.
Facebook Group for the Ascension Show
Facebook page for club Ascension
You can also find me on Fetlife.com as NrthnRebl
Thanks and look forward to making a difference in the world 1 step at a time.
Do you craft, design or produce your own lifestyle/lifestyle related and non lifestyle items? Would you like an opportunity to show off your work and place it in a shop to sell? Club Ascension is looking for vendor items to carry in its online and club shop. We would like to hear from you and take a look at your wares. Not everyone makes it into the shop as we look for a certain level of craftsmanship and care taken when creating your products. We are open all kinds of artisan craftsmanship and artwork. Our shop does not restrict to just the typical paddle, flogger, whip type of items. If you craft it, we are probably interested in it. The shop charges a 20% consignment fee to stock and carry your items. Discounts we offer our members come out of our consignment fee or in part gets applied to our general fund for the benefit programs we offer our members. Please contact us if you are interested in discussing this further.
We started a monthly Photography Group shoot in February. It went absolutely fabulous and I think everyone walked away from that shoot happy. We run this group shoot monthly so there are plenty of opportunities for photographers and models alike!
There were a few edges to smooth out in how it ran and we look forward to continually making adjustments to improve the shoot for everyone involved. If you need more information on our monthly group shoots. We use meetup for those. Feel free to join our meetup group!
Aside from the Photography Group shoots we have started offering a new service here. Photographers can now rent the Club for their projects requiring a unique type of studio. Our building is broken into many theme styled studio rooms. Our studio’s would be for shooting Boudoir, implied/nude, fetish, erotic art type photography. We also have the great outdoors at our disposal when the weather co-operates.
Our theme styled rooms include:
- Fully Equipped Dungeon
- Large Shower Room
- Boudoir Bedroom
- Shibari Suspension Room with 3 hard points
- Smokers Room
- Relaxing lounge and other areas
We are sure we can fit into your photography needs. You can always stop by and check the building out on request to see if it is a fit for your project before you rent as well!
Other Photography Services we can provide you for your projects are:
- Models you can work with
- A Shibari Rigger for your Rope-craft photography
- Help with lighting the scene
- Hang your work on the walls of the club for sale
- All works hanging on the walls of the club may be also sold through our online shop as well.
For more information, to schedule a visit, or book studio time follow the link!